Hmmm, come here you delicious (veggie) morsel! Burger fans who want to give up meat may discreetly go nuts today. That’s because we are quite simply putting pineapple, spinach, avocado and pea protein patties on our burger buns. Our pineapple and veggie burger is a winner. So fire up the cooker and take a bite!
Ingredients for 4 pineapple and veggie burgers:
For the burgers:
- 300 g pineapple
- 2 red onions
- 100 g baby spinach
- 200 g meat substitute (pea protein)
- 1 tsp cumin
- 4 tbsp chopped herbs
- 1 avocado
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 brioche buns
- Chilli flakes to season
Optional for the curry ketchup:
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp honey
- Curry powder
- Vegetable stock
Preparation time: 35 minutes
1) Peel the pineapple and cut the flesh into slices. Cut out the core in a circular shape. Peel the onions and slice thinly. Wash the spinach.
2) Season the meat substitute with pepper, cumin and herbs. Shape into four evenly sized patties and chill.
3) Mix the avocado with the honey and mash together using a fork. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a pan and fry the onions for 3 minutes.
4) Drizzle the brioche buns with some oil and toast them under the grill. Heat a griddle pan and fry the patties for 3 minutes on each side. Add the pineapple slices to the griddle pan and cook for 2 minutes on each side.
5) Spread the avocado mousse on the buns and place the patty, onions, spinach and a slice of pineapple on top. Season the burgers with chilli. Arrange the lid of the burger on top and serve.
Tip: Mix 3 tablespoons of tomato purée and 1 tablespoon of honey together to form a smooth paste, add curry powder and vegetable stock to taste and use as curry ketchup for the burger.
How good can a vegetarian burger be?
Your Dole Team