Finally it’s kale season! There are a lot of different ways to prepare this healthy vegetable. Have you ever tried kale on a tart? In combination with carrots and hummus this makes a beautiful and tasty autumn meal.
Ingredients for one tart:
- 90 g whole-wheat flour
- 90 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 260 ml water
- 45 ml water
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 12 cups kale
- ½ package feta (crumbled)
- 1/3 cup diced fresh pineapple
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 2 egg whites
- 190 g prepared hummus
- Salt to taste
This is how to make the tart:
- Preheat oven to 220 °C. Combine flours, flaxseed and salt in large bowl.
- Stir in olive oil and 260 ml water until it pulls together into a dough.
- Place on lightly floured surface and roll into 30 cm round. Transfer dough to 23 cm tart or pie pan, pressing it into the bottom and sides. Prick dough with a fork all over.
- Bake 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Reduce temperature to 180 °C. In a skillet, heat 45 ml water to boiling and cook carrots 1 minute or until soft. Stir kale and continue cooking 2 minutes or until it wilts.
- Tightly squeeze kale, draining off excess liquid. Transfer kale and carrots to mixing bowl and stir in feta, pineapple, curry powder, salt and egg whites. Set aside.
- Spread hummus over bottom of tart crust. Top with kale mixture.
- Bake 30 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges and serve warm or room temperature.
Enjoy the kale season!
Your Dole Team
Tipp: If you don’t like kale, you can replace it with baby spinach leaves.