Ingredients (serves 3)
- 3 plantains in all stages of ripeness
- 100 g Vietnamese green rice
- 50 g tempura powder
- 2 eggs
- 30 g plain flour
- 120 ml water
- Salt, pepper, oil for frying
How it is done
Chop the plantains into bite-sized chunks. There are various ways of coating the plantains:
1) With tempura batter: Add tempura powder to cold water and stir to a smooth batter
2) With green rice: Mix green rice with flour
3) With ready-coated plantains plain flour: Beat 2 eggs and sprinkle a little flour on a deep plate
Bread the plaintains using one or all of the various coatings in egg and then flour and deep-fry. Brown plantains are especially good with an egg coating, green and green-yellow ones with all other coatings. Green plantains can be deep-fried without any coating, but should be lightly salted afterwards. Different flavours are created depending on the ripeness of the fruit, from the potato-like flavour of green plantains to the taste of a dessert banana with dark plantains. We recommend serving with a selection of sauces for dipping, e.g. soy or garlic sauce.
Preparation: 10 min.
Difficulty level: very easy