Mexican food is light and delicious: whether you are dining alone or with friends, our black bean salsa with avocado is a great snack for an exciting Mexican night!
Mexican cuisine is renowned for its colourful and high-contrast dishes, which are served with fresh ingredients in a huge variety of flat breads. In addition to the traditional guacamole, salsa – the Mexican name for sauce – plays a crucial role. Whether served traditionally with tomatoes or with black beans as in this recipe, almost every Mexican meal includes a salsa. Fresh jalapeños, garlic and onions provide the traditional spicy heat; avocado and beans serve as their mild and creamy counterparts. Arriba Mexican food!
For our Mexican black bean salsa, you will need:
- 2 jalapeños (without the seeds if less heat is preferred)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 medium white onion
- coarse natural salt
- 1 tin of black beans
- 2 spring onions
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 avocado
- handful of fresh coriander
- Slice the jalapeños into rings and if necessary remove the seeds. Chop the garlic and white onion into cubes. Mix in a large bowl with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Slice the spring onions into rings and add them to the bowl with the beans, lime juice and oil. Mix everything together.
- Peel the avocado and cut into cubes, pluck the coriander from the stalks. Mix the avocado and coriander with the other ingredients.
Let the Fiesta Mexicana begin – olé!
Your Dole Team