Let’s be honest: what would breaks be like without a tasty treat? Our kids have become very sophisticated when it comes to their school snacks, and it’s not always easy for us to come up with new snack ideas. So today we have some new lunchbox suggestions for you with extra fruit power. The next break time will be healthy and colourful!
You will need the following for your fruity lunchbox:
- Blueberry waffles (120 g spelt flour, 50 g soya drink, 40 g apple sauce, 40 g agave syrup, 2 eggs, 2 tsp vegetable oil, 50 g fresh blueberries, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, a pinch of salt)
- Mini whole grain wraps (1 whole grain wrap (from the supermarket), 100 g cottage cheese, 1/4 avocado, 1/4 red pepper, cress)
- Star-shaped pineapple pieces
- Handful of blueberries
- Handful of raspberries
- A peeled carrot
Here’s what to do:
- For the blueberry waffles: Using a hand mixer, whisk the spelt flour, soya drink, apple sauce, agave syrup, eggs, vegetable oil, cinnamon and salt together for about five minutes until you have a creamy mixture; fold in the blueberries in the last minute.
- Place the dough in a hot, oiled waffle iron and bake until golden brown. Allow the waffle to cool slightly and carefully tear into five pieces.
- For the mini whole grain wraps: Cut the avocado and pepper into longish strips. Lay out the wrap in front of you. Spread the filling (cottage cheese, avocado and pepper) across the middle of the wrap. Fold the left and right sides slightly inwards. Fold the lower side up over the filling and roll it away from you. To finish, cut into three equal-sized pieces and garnish with some cress. Ready!
- Cut off two slices of fresh pineapple (about the thickness of your thumb) and cut out as many stars as possible.
- Place the blueberry waffles, mini whole grain wraps and pineapple stars in the lunchbox and garnish with fresh raspberries, blueberries or a carrot.
Top tip: Use the rest of the pineapple for your next fruit smoothie or simply have it as a quick snack yourself!
Have lots of fun trying out these recipes!
Your Dole Team