Coleslaw is the most popular raw vegetable salad of German people! Have you ever tried a sweet-spicy version of the salad? Our delicious coleslaw recipe with apples and dried cranberries is perfect for setting the mood for Christmas.
What you need for the coleslaw:
- 2 red or green apple, cored
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 300 g white cabbage, grated
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- Apple butter dressing (recipe below)
This is how you make the coleslaw with apples and cranberries:
Chop apples and sprinkle with lemon juice in large bowl. Add coleslaw and cranberries. Toss with Apple butter dressing, to taste. Refrigerate any remaining dressing.
Apple butter dressing: Whisk together 1/2 cup prepared apple butter*, 1/4 cup apple juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt and dash ground black pepper until blended. Makes about 2/3 cup.
Your Dole Team
* Recipe for apple butter (instead you can also use applesauce and less apple juice)
Ingredients for 5 portions:
- 1 kg apple, cored
- 150 g brown sugar
- 5 cm ginger
- 150 ml water or apple cider
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground clove or pimento
- 1 star anise
- juice of 1 lemon
Dice apples, peel and chop ginger and put together with other ingredients into a large pan. Simmer for 1 hour at medium heat. Stir occasionally. Then purée and simmer again for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally. The apple butter is ready when the mass is golden brown and thick.